"As the flower turns to the sun, that the bright beams may aid in perfecting its beauty and symmetry, so should we turn to the Sun of Righteousness, that heaven's light may shine upon us, that our character may be developed into the likeness of Christ." Amazing Grace, page 300.

Wednesday, August 21, 2019

What is God to you?

What does God mean to you? Have you experienced knowing what He really is in your life? Can you testify that God is ____, _____, and ______ to you?

Psalms 71 gives us some very good ideas of who God is to us! Let’s learn about them through this time.

Verse 1 says, “In thee, O LORD, do I put my trust: let me never be put to confusion.” That’s the first thing God is to us – 1. My listening ear. He is the one we put our trust in. Why? Because He’s always listening and will not leave us alone.

Verse 2 says, “Deliver me in thy righteousness, and cause me to escape: incline thine ear unto me, and save me.” Here God is something else - 2. My Savior. Only God can save us. Not man or anything around us. We must look to Jesus for help to be free from our sins and to have victory over sins. Remember the song, there is power, power, wondering working power in the precious blood of the Lamb……

Verse 3 has 2 in it, “Be thou my strong habitation, whereunto I may continually resort: thou hast given commandment to save me; for thou art my rock and my fortress.” Here God is 3. My rock and 4. My fortress. What is the number one characteristic of a rock? It’s strength, right? Where does our source of strength come from? Only from God. How about a fortress? That’s another name of saying a castle. If you were running to hide from someone trying, the castle would be the place to run to! Who should we run to in our problems? We need to run to God.

Verse 4 and 5 says, “Deliver me, O my God, out of the hand of the wicked, out of the hand of the unrighteous and cruel man. For thou art my hope, O Lord GOD: thou art my trust from my youth.” There we have the firth and sixth things God is to us. 5. My hope and 6. My trust. There’s a lot of things to hope for in life, but what we should really hope for is to know God in a close intimate way. That’s our true hope! And of course, we are looking for the blessed hope – the glorious appearing of Jesus. And God is also our trust. What do you trust in? We need to not put our trust or hope in man but in the Lord (Ps. 118:8).

Verse 6 has another 2 things God is to us, “By thee have I been holden up from the womb: thou art he that took me out of my mother’s bowels: my praise shall be continually of thee.” Here God is 7. My upholder and 8. My Creator. Who keeps us going and upholds us? It’s God! We can’t even breath without God! And God made us also!

Verse 7 says, “I am as a wonder unto many; but thou art my strong refuge.” Here God is 9. My strong refuge. We’ll that’s similar to the fortress we talked about earlier. If you have it in your mind that anytime you are in trouble, you have somewhere to run to and turn to, would you be afraid of trouble? No! Of course not! Because you have a strong refuge to turn to.

Verse 8 then says, “Let my mouth be filled with thy praise and with thy honour all the day.” Here God is 10. My reason for praise.  Do you ever wonder what to be thankful for? God is the reason of our praise and all He is doing and has done for us!

Then we drop down in the chapter to verse 19, “Thy righteousness also, O God, is very high, who hast done great things: O God, who is like unto thee!” Here God is 11. My miracle worker.  God is the one who can do such mighty miracles in our lives! Who is like unto God? No one!

Then verse 21 says, “Thou shalt increase my greatness, and comfort me on every side.” Here God is 12. My Comforter. Do you long for someone to comfort you and understand you? God is the greater comforter and He understands us better than anyone else does!

And then lastly verse 23 says, “My lips shall greatly rejoice when I sing unto thee; and my soul, which thou hast redeemed.” And here the last one is 13. God is my Redeemer.

So there we have 13 things God is to us! And I’m sure there are more that I didn’t catch from the chapter! Look for more and see if you can find more!

Let’s remember all the things God is and does to us and learn to praise and thank Him more each day!

No comments:

Post a Comment